[ExI] student debt

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Feb 11 05:03:33 UTC 2008

At 08:47 PM 2/10/2008 -0800, Spike wrote:

>Even if they go to a school in which the state pays most of the tuition,
>they still need to cover their living expenses.

Hey, my PhD was paid for by the taxpayers of Australia, and my
stipend allowed me to put down a deposit on a house, as well as
feeding and clothing me. I didn't have a car, however; luckily
Melbourne has excellent inner city public transport, and it's
possible to bike places without getting killed if you pick your
routes carefully.

I believe Barbara had a similar deal at Texas U at Austin for her JD,
although she had some TA duties.

Damien Broderick