[ExI] The Tax Man (was: A Small Request)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Feb 11 15:31:04 UTC 2008

"Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> Do you have a short list of the most serious aberrations in society
> that you resent funding, and some estimate of how much they cost? (I
> assume you're not speaking of such aberrations as jailing "soft drug"
> users, at vast expense, or punishing the wrong country for the crimes
> of a religious splinter group from elsewhere, at even vaster expense,
> although these might be good motives for disliking tax collection.)

I do indeed resent paying for a war to find weapons of mass destruction
that in fact do not exist. And most police work, at least in the USA,
is involved in enforcing drug laws and other victimless crimes and I
resent that. I resent the fact that I have to pay your medical bills even if
you have to pay mine, and I resent the hugely inefficient bureaucracy
set up to administer the ludicrous idea. I resent the very thing that make
medicine so expensive, a monopoly to practice medicine enforced by a
government I am forced to pay taxes to; and I resent not being able to
buy any drug I like over the counter. I resent having to pay to educate
other people's children, educate them very poorly I might add due to the
government's near monopoly on schooling.

And in general I resent being forced to pay for programs that some idiot
beaurocrat claims will help the poor. Please understand I'm all for charity,
I just don't like a gun placed at my head.

  John K Clark