[ExI] The Tax Man (was: A Small Request)

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Feb 11 16:07:18 UTC 2008

From: "John K Clark" <jonkc at att.net>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 7:31 AM

> I do indeed resent paying for a war to find weapons of mass destruction
> that in fact do not exist. And most police work, at least in the USA,
> is involved in enforcing drug laws ...:

On a related note, this may be an interesting development to follow:

Breaking the Drug Taboo: Group of Traumatized Veterans Get Experimental
Ecstasy Treatment

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/76576/

> I resent the fact that I have to pay your medical bills even if
> you have to pay mine, and I resent the hugely inefficient bureaucracy
> set up to administer the ludicrous idea. I resent the very thing that make
> medicine so expensive, a monopoly to practice medicine enforced by a
> government I am forced to pay taxes to; and I resent not being able to
> buy any drug I like over the counter. I resent having to pay to educate
> other people's children, educate them very poorly I might add due to the
> government's near monopoly on schooling.

I cannot fathom a society (that functions, is complicated, diverse and
populous, where people don't pay taxes of some kind - which is not to say I
don't have my pet peeves about paying certain taxes, i.e., keeping religious
institutions in business).

> And in general I resent being forced to pay for programs that some idiot
> beaurocrat claims will help the poor. Please understand I'm all for
> charity,
> I just don't like a gun placed at my head.

Well, now ... so, are you doing something about trying to abolish the 2nd
Amendment? ;)

Olga