[ExI] Methuselah Foundation

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Feb 13 20:43:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 11:16:52AM -0800, Shannon wrote:

> Just in case any of you haven't checked out the
> Methuselah Foundation lately I wanted to put out the
> link to their forum (perhaps Peter Thiel reads it ;-)
> ) :
>
> http://www.methuselahfoundation.org/forums/index.php?referrerid=299
>
> I've been excited to see Aubrey in the press more as
> of late, and even on the Colbert Report.

Cool shit. I've been a speaker on the same panel as
Audrey once.

> I'd love to see more people support our current
> science of ending aging, I think this will happen
> after more 'famous or rich' people do--but before the
> super wealthy put large amounts of money into ending
> aging-- the stigma of selfishness must be removed.
> Since the super rich would be the first to benefit
> from anti-aging treatments--they'd have to be people
> who give back a lot to help end inequality in some
> way, for the majority of people to be supportive.

Thiel was the largest donor so far. I hope the others
will follow suit. Also, frozen heads (Saul Kent and
a couple others (Laughlin) figure prominently there).

> Life Extension may come from A.I., or brain
> uploading--but many have the idea that is 'not human'

Czech this shit out:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/01/connectomics

> and they want to keep their own bodies re-rejuvenated.
>  I think that is why it is important to support the
> Mprize, as well as support the A.I. field.

You don't really want to fund SkyNet.

> Shannon
>
> Health, Happiness, Wisdom & Longevity :-) -- best wishes from...  Austin, Texas  --Shannon Vyff   (512) 673-3431                                               2011 Lantana Drive, Round Rock, TX, 78664                                               "21st Century Kids" http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Kids-Shannon-Vyff/dp/1886057001

Weird. I'd've never pegged you for a trashumus.
Will wonders never cease.