[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Feb 14 05:10:32 UTC 2008

> Damien Sullivan

> ...Which is better, a system which lets you
> pay $50,000 to keep you alive an extra year after diagnosis,
> or a system which takes the $50,000 and spends $10,000 each
> to delay the onset of cancer in five people?  -xx- Damien X-)

Damien your question is undefined in its present form.  The first part says
*you pay* $50,000 (so it is your money) so of course it is perfectly
reasonable that YOU GET an extra year of life for YOUR MONEY.  The second
part says *takes THE $50,000* which implies a different 50k.  Otherwise the
question would have specified *takes YOUR $50,000*.  The question you pose
contains an unnecessary "or" being as the same system can do both,
simultaneously.

If you meant a system which takes MY $50,000 to prevent cancer in five, I
prefer a system which keeps its grubbies off of MY MONEY (tm) so I can use
it to buy myself an extra year, or should I decide that it is hopeless, to
use MY fifty Grovers to pay for cryonic suspension.  If that system has its
own 50k to delay cancer in five people, may it do so with my sincerest
blessing.