[ExI] The Singing Revolution

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Feb 19 06:46:27 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

I saw _The Singing Revolution_ yesterday at the Boulder International
Film Festival. The title refers to the revolution in Estonia, even
though the events were generally proceeding in parallel with similar
strides in Latvia and Lithuania. It is one of those films that you will
likely never in your life, forget.
http://thesingingrevolution.com/

The New York Times has a review
http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/movies/14revo.html

Steve Jurvetson is the executive film producer, you can see his comments
(showing his pride too) at his flickr site:
http://flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/1419219274/ where his readers
(including me) give more comments and links to movie reviews.

For me, most of the story was not new, but there were a couple of
astounding historical events regarding the winter 90-91 confrontations
between the Estonian political groups: Interfront (pro-Soviet) and
Popular Front (pro-Independence) of which I was unaware. The scene left
me without breath; it breaks all rules for the behavior of 'mobs' and
protests that western media usually show as the normal behavior. I heard
the comment, repeatedly, that every peace organization in the world
should see this film.

You can see where the film is playing near you:
http://www.singingrevolution.com/cgi-local/screenings.cgi

After the film, you might want to understand more of the story. I have
more parts of the story at my own web site:
http://www.amara.com/Independence/LestWeForget.html

Ciao,
Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado