[ExI] META: Regarding "Die for Gaia, save the planet?"

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 17:45:08 UTC 2008

2008/2/21 Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com>:

> Stephano---instead of just providing a link---in addition
> took the time to cut and paste the whole article.

This is always a matter of doubt for me. As a list moderator, I used to tell
people "Why do you encumber the list and the net with stuff that can well be
simply linked?". At a point in time somebody argued that trivial as the
effort of one click may be, many  are less likely to switch their attention
to the browser while rapidly skimming through their incoming messages even
though they might be potentially interested, and I realised that
i) this is also true for me, on the passive side, and
ii) the number of replies I get from cut-and-pasted texts is much higher
than those originated by mere links.

So, nowadays, I reached a compromise: I try avoiding to spam lists with very
long texts, however interesting they may be, but at the same time I make the
effort of copying in at least what is necessary to show the subject and the
possible relevance of the text I want to submit to my fellow list members.

Stefano Vaj