[ExI] Bill Moyers: Susan Jacoby and "The Age of AmericanUnreason"

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Feb 23 20:39:19 UTC 2008

Bryan wrote

>> My bet is that these people are using cached thoughts when answering the
>>  statistic questionaires. After all, how hard is it to just recognize
>>  which opinion you most side with?

Yes, but of course all of us do that (as I think you mean) on
such questionaires. That's all the information that such quick
encounters can ferret out.

>>  And how much more difficult is it to coherently write down
>>  what you think and how you are approaching the
>>  future?

Stathis replies

> It's a terrible thing even if they don't really believe it, but just
> feel that it's the "right" answer to give.

I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you talking about
people who knowingly misinform, because, perhaps they think
that it's best for society that they do?  That is quite different from
those who pay no attention to discussions about, say, evolution,
but either do or don't vaguely subscribe.  If you meant the latter,
then why is that terrible? You mean that they should just admit
that they haven't thought about it?

Lee