[ExI] Bill Moyers: Susan Jacoby and "The Age of AmericanUnreason"

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 00:19:36 UTC 2008

>  > It's a terrible thing even if they don't really believe it, but just
>  > feel that it's the "right" answer to give.
>

> I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you talking about
>  people who knowingly misinform, because, perhaps they think
>  that it's best for society that they do?  That is quite different from
>  those who pay no attention to discussions about, say, evolution,
>  but either do or don't vaguely subscribe.  If you meant the latter,
>  then why is that terrible? You mean that they should just admit
>  that they haven't thought about it?

I mean the former. There is good evidence that people who profess
religious belief know it's all bunk since otherwise "faith" would not
be considered so important. "Faith" is what you need in order to
believe something when your senses and your reason tell you it isn't
true. But if you can't lie to yourself, maybe you can lie to other
people who ask about your beliefs.

--
Stathis Papaioannou