[ExI] Basis of Belief

giovanni santost santostasigio at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 06:15:40 UTC 2008

I completely disagree,
  the person of faith has strong believes that reason, evidence, scientific thinking is not to be trusted, (in particular on matters as the origin of the universe, the origin of human species, what happens after death), they lack the ability to make a connection between what science claims and everyday reality, and the fact that the technology that they used everyday is a product of the same thinking that they mistrust. What is implausable for the majority of people of faith (I know by experience because many of my students are such type of believers) is that the universe came from a Big Bang (if they even understand the theory at all), that our ancestors were some kind of monkeys and that there is something like a soul, or heaven and so on.

Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
  Stathis writes

>> Are you talking about people who knowingly misinform,
>> because, perhaps they think that it's best for society that they do?
>
> There is good evidence that people who profess religious belief
> know it's all bunk since otherwise "faith" would not be considered
> so important.

I am forced to agree---except that "bunk" is way too strong.
Those who emphasize faith, it seems to me, thereby are
conceding that their beliefs are somewhat improbable,
based upon, as you say, evidence and reasonableness.

Lee