[ExI] Basis of Belief

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Feb 24 16:25:15 UTC 2008

On Sunday 24 February 2008 01:15, giovanni santost wrote:
> I completely disagree,
>   the person of faith has strong believes that reason, evidence, scientific
> thinking is not to be trusted,

Right.  There is a misleading tendency in our brain to assume that everybody
else must see the same things we see.  When we look at evidence and reach a
conclusion, we falsely assume that other people looking at the same evidence
will reach the same conclusion.  This simply isn't true.  Different people
really do have difference values and beliefs.

People really do believe in their religions, or their politics, or their
social theories.  Corporations really believe they are doing the right thing.
Criminals really believe they are innocent.  People really believe the latest
fad, urban legend, or pop theory making the rounds.  It is a mistake to
interpret other people in terms of our own worldview.  This leads to the
classic strawman fallacy where you see your own projection of the other
position and really have no understanding of the actual other position at
all.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.harveynewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI GSEC IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP