[ExI] Basis of Belief

Tom Tobin korpios at korpios.com
Mon Feb 25 22:37:35 UTC 2008

On 2/25/08, aiguy at comcast.net <aiguy at comcast.net> wrote:
> I will start by saying that although I am not a Christian, I respect the
> belief systems of people with other memesets.

I don't.

This notion — "respecting" the beliefs of those who make *false* (for
the Bayesians, read: close to zero probability) factual claims about
reality — needs to have a stake driven through its heart.  I don't
necessarily hate the *people* who hold these false beliefs, but there
is nothing about the claims that deserves *respect*.

We *should* be intolerant of stupid beliefs.  Yes, *stupid* — that's
what it is to believe, e.g., that this planet was formed 6,000 years
ago, or that there's a magical all-powerful creature looking out for
your welfare.