[ExI] Basis of Belief

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Tue Feb 26 12:59:35 UTC 2008

Emlyn said:

>> Well, if an AGI decides to terminate atheists, it's either because it has
some dastardly plan based on it's followers having poor reasoning faculties
(so it's an unfriendly AI), or it's figured out that (some) religion is
actually true, clearly a quite murderous one, and it's likely to be correct,
so things were going to end badly anyway.

I wanted to write a longer post, but I think it suffices to state the
mundane truth that there is no god. The burden of proof is not on me to
prove this statement. >>

The point has nothing to do with who is right or wrong concerning religion
or lack there of.

The point is that ridicule is a form of violence.  Not physical violence,
but it is an invitation to physical violence.

Children who are subjected to repeated ridicule are killing other children
in our schools.

Adults who were raised with ridicule go on to ridicule their children, their
spouses, and in many cases supplement the verbal violence with sexual or
other physical abuse.

Schools are now recognizing that ridicule is the first step in most violent
altercations.

http://operationrespect.org/parents/parents_overview.php

Schools are now teaching programs on bullying prevention that starts with
tolerance and respect for differences between individuals.

Ridiculing a persons religion is no different than ridiculing them because
of their color, sexuality, or how unattractive they are, or of a speech
impediment.

It is who they are and they are worthy of respect not because you agree with
them or find their viewpoints attractive but because we are all human beings
and deserve to be respected.

This does not preclude editorial cartoons, light hearted satire, or
dispassionate analysis when done is such a way so as not to inflame and
kindle flames of hatred.  But there are lines that should not be crossed as
the dead children at Columbine would tell you if they were here.

I would hope that an AGI would analyze violence and come to the conclusion
that much of violence committed in the name of religion had intolerance and
lack of respect for other peoples core belief systems as it's real cause.

I hope that the AGI when it is born does not terminate anyone.  But there
may be those who were raised in homes filled with abuse and ridicule that
have gone on to spread that violent meme in their adult lives.

Should an AGI grant immortality to such a poisoned soul?