[ExI] The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Feb 27 14:03:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Technotranscendence
<neptune at superlink.net> wrote:
> Has anyone here read the above book?  If so, comments?

I read it several months ago, motivated by my highly favorable
assessment of Taleb's earlier book, _Fooled by Randomness_.

I found _Black Swan_ to contain two or three nuggets of value, which
could have been expressed in a 10-15 page paper.

Of the ideas in the book, the concept he calls the Ludic Fallacy is
extremely important while being particularly hard for conventional
"rationalists" to comprehend.

- Jef