[ExI] The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Wed Feb 27 17:32:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Technotranscendence
<neptune at superlink.net> wrote:
>  Has anyone here read the above book?  If so, comments?

Nice coincidence because it is sitting in front of me since my good friend
loaned it to me last week. I've barely started it though. He told me that
if you've read Taleb's previous book (_Fooled by Randomness_), then this
book is mostly redundant. He also preferred the earlier one; he thought it
was written in a more interesting way.

Taleb just spoke at The Long Now so maybe that might be a good way
to decide if you want to read this book:

Audio :
http://s3.amazonaws.com/salt-recordings/salt-020080208-taleb/salt-020080208-taleb_web.mp3
blog summary :
http://blog.longnow.org/2008/02/07/nassim-nicholas-taleb-the-future-has-always-been-crazier-than-we-thought/

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado