[ExI] Problem with Pattents

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:13:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Tom Tobin <korpios at korpios.com> wrote:

> I think you discount the potential of open-source, collaborative means
> of invention and authorship; given the currently available body of
> ideas and a mandate to go nuts (and maybe a RepRap), why shouldn't the
> same blooming of useful creative work happen in other fields just as
> with computer programming?
>
> Insofar as *feelings* go, I actually believe that all IP is unethical;
> just as a conviction that all slavery is unethical, this doesn't stem
> from reason or a cost/benefit analysis.

In fact, it is by no means the case that extending the scope, areas and
duration of IP indefinitely provides indefinite increments in the sought
results. On the contrary, there is a curve of steeply diminishing returns
that may well justify an opposition to patents on, say, culinary recipees,
software and business methods, or to a duration of copyright on books for
life-plus-70-years.

Insofar as "ethical" feelings are concerned, the situation is similar to
that of Sharia and lending money for an interest: if this is unacceptable
for you, you should either come up with other workable ideas for operating a
banking system, or accept to do without it.

Stefano Vaj