[ExI] Survival

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Jan 3 19:48:08 UTC 2008

On 1/3/08, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008, Damien Broderick wrote:
> > Last night I chanced to see part of an interview with actor Will
> > Smith, whom I found surprisingly articulate and thoughtful, genuinely
> > intelligent, until he started explaining that the secret of his
> > success was learning that we create our own realities, that 2 + 2
> > only equals 4 if you feel that it does, or the like. I went on alert,
>
> I have also come across that strain of thought, that "we create our own
> realities." I happened upon it during an interview with MIT, and
> evidently I hadn't sufficiently created my own reality. I am still
> wondering over the validity of "we create our own realities" and so far
> I have kept it suspect.

It can be a mind-blowingly powerful and empowering realization(!) for
people seeking greater truth and discovering that our (experience) of
reality is indeed shaped entirely by our nature.  Sadly, many become
enamored of this magical knowledge, and the seeker stops short of
epistemological enlightenment.

- Jef