[ExI] Survival

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jan 3 20:20:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 01:39:51PM -0600, Bryan Bishop wrote:

> I have also come across that strain of thought, that "we create our own
> realities." I happened upon it during an interview with MIT, and
> evidently I hadn't sufficiently created my own reality. I am still
> wondering over the validity of "we create our own realities" and so far
> I have kept it suspect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/17BUSH.html?ex=1255665600&en=890a96189e162076&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

The aide said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,''
which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious
study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment
principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really
works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our
own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will --
we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's
how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will
be left to just study what we do.''

That guy needs a shot of thorazine, quick.