[ExI] Clark abstract

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jan 10 06:13:29 UTC 2008

hkhenson wrote:
> At 08:22 PM 1/9/2008, you wrote:
>
>> Lee Corbin wrote:
>>
>>> Keith writes

>>> Why ask for an EP explanation of a very recent *fashion*?
>>> Throughout most of history there has been little or no
>>> reluctance to discuss group differences.
>>>
>> Lee makes an excellent point.  People believing in EP tend to try to use it
>> to explain every psychological behavior.  Some of them, such as this recent
>> phenomenon, don't have their roots in evolution.
>>

> EP makes the claim that *every* psychological behavior has roots in
> evolution.  Is learning (picking up new memes) a psychological
> behavior?  Of course, and it goes way back on the mammal line as well.

That seems a bit like saying "every human activity, every human thought,
every invention, etc. have roots in evolution".    True, but so what?
If you mean the stronger statement that *every* psychological behavior
is adequately and accurately explained by evolutionary psychology then
that is not at all obvious and seems quit unlikely.   Besides, all that
is needed for EP by definition is that are aspects of our psychology
that are due to evolution.  It is not necessary in order for EP to be a
valid body of theory that it explain all our psychological behavior.

- samantha