[ExI] Clark abstract

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Jan 10 08:12:09 UTC 2008

At 11:13 PM 1/9/2008, samantha wrote:
>hkhenson wrote:

snip

> > EP makes the claim that *every* psychological behavior has roots in
> > evolution.  Is learning (picking up new memes) a psychological
> > behavior?  Of course, and it goes way back on the mammal line as well.
> >
>That seems a bit like saying "every human activity, every human thought,
>every invention, etc. have roots in evolution".    True, but so what?
>If you mean the stronger statement that *every* psychological behavior
>is adequately and accurately explained by evolutionary psychology then
>that is not at all obvious and seems quit unlikely.   Besides, all that
>is needed for EP by definition is that are aspects of our psychology
>that are due to evolution.  It is not necessary in order for EP to be a
>valid body of theory that it explain all our psychological behavior.

Sorry, I need to correct and expand a bit.

Behavior is due to psychological mechanisms.  That's true from
complicated behavior such as capture-bonding right down to reflex
withdrawal from something hot.

If there is a widespread psychological mechanism in some species then
that mechanism came to exist through evolution.  Typically these
mechanisms (such as cheater detection) are localized in the brain.
Vision and hearing are obviously localized as are centers for speech,
motor control and several dozen others.

Now widespread behavior typically results from underlying evolved
psychological mechanisms.  Those mechanisms came down to us because
they helped our ancestors reproduce, or at least didn't get in the
way.  Some of the selection may be recent, i.e., since settled
agriculture.  (The Gregory Clark paper I have recommended strongly.)

That doesn't mean that all the behaviors we see today (such as drug
addiction) were selected. But the underlying mechanisms that responds
to drugs *were* selected and drug addiction is a side effect of that selection.

The behavior related to "political correctness" with respect to
different cultures is a widespread behavior in western culture.  (In
this case I think we have to leave out Japan which I normally count
in the western culture block.)  Therefore there must be an evolved
underlying psychological mechanism involved.

Maybe this behavior is entirely due to the psychological mechanisms
we use to pick up rock chipping or washing dishes, but I doubt
it.  People hold PC views much more emotionally than they hold ways
to knit.  When strong emotions are involved it's telling you
*something.*  This meme is tapping some evolved psychological
mechanism that was significant at some time in our past.  I don't
know the original function but this is the way the logical
progression goes in using EP.

As a guess it's tapping the same psychological mechanisms as other
political matters.  Or it may be tapping the closely related
religious mechanisms.  Dr. Weston did work that's close enough he
might be able to shed some light on this if asked.

Any folks on the list from Emory University or Atlanta?

Keith Henson