[ExI] Coming in 2008: "Transhumanism Today" magazine

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Jan 10 16:20:21 UTC 2008

At 08:59 PM 1/9/2008, John wrote:

>I believe Max More and the early Extropians put out their own print
>magazine and despite an excellent product were met with
>failure.  What you are doing fits into the "where angels fear to
>tread" category and so I wish you the very best.

That might depend on how one gauges failure.  Did it succeed into the
21st Century, obtain a ticker number, and produce massive profits on
Wall Street?  No.  But it was a huge success while it lasted, thanks
to Max's 24/7 on it.

"Extropy The Journal of Transhumanist Thought" was a success in many
ways, including financially.  One of the central problems was that
the magazine's distributors were not always forthcoming with
payments.  The amount of work, including editing, layout, graphics,
etc. did not produce a net profit that would be worthy of continuing
the magazine without a larger number of sponsors and/or benefactors.

For anyone unfamiliar with Extropy, some of the later issues are
here: http://www.extropy.org/publications.htm

And here are some fun quotes:

"In general I would call it the best periodical I have ever seen in my life..."
-- Alexander Chislenko, August 1992

"I love it. Extropy excites the hell out of my mind."
-- Zack Lynch, January 1993

"I just wanted to let you know that Extropy keeps getting better and
better! (as, of course, it must in order to be so named). What a
uniformly excellent, eclectic, thoughtful, well-written selection of
articles. By far the most thought-provoking, ground-breaking stuff in
any magazine I read."
-- Phil Goetz, July 1994

One of the highlights of the magazine was seeing it in bookstores and
magazine stands.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium - University of Plymouth - Faculty
of Technology
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics
Centre for Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller