[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Jan 13 01:54:52 UTC 2008

John Clark writes

> We've known for 70 years that you can instantly change something
> 10 billion light years away,

Not if you look at this through MWI lenses.

If you send a photon through a filter at 45 degrees and someone
far away sends the corresponding entangled photon through a
similar filter, then the A-you where the photon passed and the
A-him turn out to be in the same universe, and the B-you and
the B-him where it didn't are in the other universe.

If it weren't for the "weird correlation", then there would actually be
four universes---inhabited respectively by the teams A-you & A-him,
A-you & B-him, B-you & A-him, and B-you & B-him---and each
such worthy would weep "alas there is no correlation between
what happens here and what happens there, our entanglementation
did fail".  But when entanglement succeeds, there are just the two
universes, and everyone celebrates the wonderous correlation,
except for the two pairs of unfortunates who didn't get any runtime,
Messrs. A-you & B-him and Messrs. B-you & A-him.

Nobody "changed" anything lightyears away, and certainly not
"instantly", whatever than means in our post-Einstein understanding.
You can jam a filter up against a passing photon, but that won't
cause anyone to do the same thing lightyears away. But even if
they do, the fact that only two universes instead of four obtain
should not be described as either party inflicting a change on
distant circumstances.

Lee