[ExI] Lost photos

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 00:32:15 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 3:45 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm hoping that the same hermeneutical insight will be extended,
> proving that the allegorical "Mother of Jesus" was not a Virgin but a
> Blessed Grape--making him an avatar of Bacchus. I mean, look at the
> ample evidence! "Drink this," says Jesus, quaffing his wine, "in
> remembrance of me!" His first miracle: changing water into wine! Eat,
> drink and be merry--loaves and fishes for all!

You're not far off, even though you're joking.  Jesus and
Dionysus/Bacchus have lots in common, so much so, they believe that
the NT Gospels were influenced by the Dionysus myth and cult.  "The
Bacchae" by Euripides is a good source of comparison.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa2.htm
http://www.about-jesus.org/paganism.htm (scroll down to Dionysus)

Monomyths, indeed!

PJ