[ExI] voting machines again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jan 20 01:57:03 UTC 2008

South Carolina primary plagued by bad voting machines, snow:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/19/south.carolina.gop/index.html

The article contains this enlightening comment:

...Malfunctioning voting machines plagued Horry County, which contains the
cities of Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. "Human error" put the
machines offline in 80 percent of the county's precincts during Saturday's
voting...

And this jewel, which made my day:

...voters in the affected precincts used paper ballots and any scrap of
paper available to cast their votes...

Any scrap of paper?  Any scrap of paper, to help determine who will control
a terrifying nuclear arsenal?

The elections board claim they have a backup system.  If true, why were
voters using any scrap of paper?  At this point it doesn't matter if they
were to suddenly discover a technology to resolve these kinds of problems,
for we have lost trust in the computer voting process.  How long before we
wake up and declare these machines illegal?  Everywhere in the world, throw
em out!  Could we not finance an upgrade to paper ballots by selling
tickets, a buck a whack with a large hammer, to destroy the evil devices?