[ExI] LA Times: Misreading the mind

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:02:41 UTC 2008

Lee,

The neurosci people are not thinking "hard scifi" when it comes to the
brain. What we need to do is expose the gradients within the brain to
outside testing more readily so that we can figure out what modules of
the brain are doing and so on. While it may not duplicate experiences,
it's still 'progress'.

Yesterday I mostly completed a system to separate the brain into ten or
fifteen regions, while keeping it alive as well as providing a conduit
for electrical stimulation from one region to another. The only
remaining problem is that of neurochemicals, and I think that can be
solved by some fancy MEMS (which is difficult to come by). Otherwise,
this should lead to opportunities to more progressively study the brain
since it exposes both structure and function into encapsulated units.

So there's some good work going on. Just not necessarily in the news.

- Bryan