[ExI] LA Times: Misreading the mind

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Jan 23 04:45:36 UTC 2008

Mike writes

> It seems to be the nature of list-based discussion that
> every reply is assumed first to be a counterpoint or argument.

Yes, I've noticed that.

> I don't really understand why this phenomenon evolved this way.

There are two reasons that I can think of.  One is that when
one is uncertain as to meaning, one usually---pessimistically
as it were---goes for the most unfavorable interpretation. We
see slights, for example, where none is meant. (However, this
does just push the mystery up a level.)

Another reason is that we usually in email take agreement for
granted. There usually isn't much information in saying "me too".
In person, tone of voice and manner can carry the agreement.
But since we're not evolved to handle email, the tendency then
most of the time will be to perceive some neutral statement as
more likely to contain disagreement than agreement.

Lee