[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 21:10:49 UTC 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 8:44 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> It is an inconvenient truth that healthcare outcomes as a function of
> income follow the same general distribution across the healthcare
> models of the industrialized world.  The solution is not to attempt to
> equalize outcomes, which would almost certainly be futile or reduce
> mean outcomes, but to maximize the average outcome given the resources
> at hand.
>
> The US has the best average outcomes in the world by substantial
> margin; an interesting question is whether or not the European systems
> would produce similar outcomes if they had as much money to spend per
> capita.

I'd be interested in how you measure this claim.

I haven't noticed the people who do the stats like the UN, WHO, etc. agreeing.

It is certainly not in average life expectancy, where the US is No. 45
in the table.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy>

Of course there are also very wide differences in life expectancy
between groups within the US, where rich white women top the list.

BillK