[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sat Jan 26 21:57:13 UTC 2008

On Jan 26, 2008, at 1:10 PM, BillK wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2008 8:44 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>> It is an inconvenient truth that healthcare outcomes as a function of
>> income follow the same general distribution across the healthcare
>> models of the industrialized world.  The solution is not to attempt
>> equalize outcomes, which would almost certainly be futile or reduce
>> mean outcomes, but to maximize the average outcome given the
>> resources
>> at hand.
>>
>> The US has the best average outcomes in the world by substantial
>> margin; an interesting question is whether or not the European
>> systems
>> would produce similar outcomes if they had as much money to spend per
>> capita.
>>

> I'd be interested in how you measure this claim.

Healthcare outcomes i.e. disease and injury survival rates, diagnostic
accuracy, etc.  Direct measures of medical performance.  A favorite
point in discussions of healthcare economics is that cancer survival
rates in the US are commonly 20-40% higher than in Europe almost
across the board, and no single European (or other) country comes
close.  This same pattern holds for a lot of other healthcare
statistics.

The US healthcare model may be Byzantine and inefficient -- I do not
think anyone disputes that -- but the one thing it has going for it is
that it leaves the competition in the dust when it comes to diagnosing
and treating serious medical conditions for the average person.  Since
that is what I am actually paying the medical system to deliver, it
cannot be casually waved away.

> I haven't noticed the people who do the stats like the UN, WHO, etc.
> agreeing.
>
> It is certainly not in average life expectancy, where the US is No. 45
> in the table.

Those do not control for demographic, genetic, or environmental
factors and are therefore useless for determining the effectiveness of
medical care.  Direct statistics of medical outcomes show a very
different picture.

- Asians in industrialized Asia have the longest life spans in the
world -- except for Asians in the US.  This is a common pattern.

- Average life expectancy is significantly skewed in the US due to the
atypically high incidence of automobile accidents and a few other
environmental factors that do not reflect medical care per se.  If you
remove these environmental factors from the statistics, Americans have
an atypically high life expectancy in the industrialized world (the
highest in fact, depending on how you measure it).

- Infant mortality rates in the industrialized world, along a similar
lines, are almost purely a function of ethnicity and genetics, and
some ethnic groups have integer factor higher *genetic* predisposition
for miscarriage.  The US has much higher concentrations of high-risk
genetic groups in its population than other industrialized countries,
and the country-wide statistics pretty closely reflect the ethnic
distribution.

To make it plainer, if you look at individual US states, you find that
the US contains among the very highest and lowest life expectancy and
infant mortality rates in the industrialized world, again following
the distributions expected due to demographic, genetic, and major
environmental factors.  The US rate is the average of a very broad
distribution.

In short, the UN and WHO are not measuring healthcare outcomes, they
are measuring demographics and environmental factors, and medical care
is only a small contributing factor.  In fact, the US would have poor
outcomes if it was not for the fact that US healthcare outcomes
compensate by substantially outperforming the rest of the
industrialized world.

Remember, I am talking about *healthcare outcomes* i.e. how well does
the medical establishment deliver the products we are paying them to
deliver.  Metrics like life expectancy and infant mortality only
capture that very poorly because in many countries those are a
function of things that have nothing to do with medical care.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers