[ExI] John C. Wright Interview

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Jan 26 21:12:27 UTC 2008

Damien writes

> [An amazon reviewer wrote]
>>     Humility has its virtues, and Joyce might
>>     have benefited from it more in writing this, creating a real
>>     masterpiece for the masses rather than an ivory tower to which only
>>     he held the key.
>
> And not only Joyce. Imagine how much better off we'd all be if those
> damned hifalutin scientists would stop  swanking around about
> allopatric inheritance and endonucleases and
> [tex]R_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu}=8\pi G T_{\mu\nu}[/tex]
> and string landscapes versus ekpyrotic branes, and create a real
> masterpiece of understanding for the masses.

I agree.  There is no excuse for such unappealing verbiage and
ugly mathematics (unless you like GR).  Utterly no excuse---
except for one little thing.  We are *forced* to it because it's
true, and there is just no escaping that.

The same cannot be said for literature.  It's redeeming virtue
is instead beauty.  And if a lot of people don't happen to like
something, then that's all, ultimately, that there is to it.

Lee