[ExI] Joyce

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed Jan 30 08:02:58 UTC 2008

"Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

>You jest messin' wit' me, right?

Wrong.

> On the off-chance that you're not:

I'm not.

> It's an injunction in Bach, an imperative that heedless
> sleepers must  rouse themselves.

Thank you, I did not know that.

> It's that, also, in FINNEGANS WAKE

It was my understanding that the word "Wake" did not mean stop sleeping
but referred to an Irish funeral. It was also my understanding that Joyce
got the title from an old comic song in which Finnegan wakes up in the
middle of his own wake, the song is called Finnegan's Wake. Yes it had
an apostrophe. If I am correct about that (and believe it or not I have
been known to be wrong) then my third grade English teacher would
still give Mr. Joyce an F for a title like that.

  John K Philistine