[ExI] Oil will never run out

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 02:42:18 UTC 2008

On Sunday 29 June 2008, hkhenson wrote:
> At 08:39 PM 6/29/2008, Bryan wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 June 2008, Kevin Freels wrote:
> > > A cell phone without civilization is just a paper weight.
> >
> > That's not true ... just throw up some towers/antennaes, a few
> > electrical generators and also some distribution equipment. you can
> > make a rudimentary hydrodynamic power generator with wires (or less
> > optimally other shapes) of magnetic materials wrapped around other
> > conductive metals basically, etc. etc.
>
> I was going to just punt this one, but what the heck.  Bryan, how
> much do you know about what's involved in a cell tower?

Although I am sure that there is a lot of proprietary electrical
circuits that you can call me out on, I still don't see what's so
difficult. Hell, I have a few friends that get their connectivity via
tin cans and wraps of wire. Kind of like this except more technically
competent: http://binarywolf.com/249/

Over the years I've been reading a lot about antennaes:
http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm
http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/MIT/862.06/students/temi/
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Theory/
http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/antennas/anten.htm
http://www.cebik.com/trans/ant-design.html
http://www.diylive.net/index.php/2006/01/19/diy-cell-phone-antenna/
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html
http://www.borg.com/~warrend/guru.html
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/06/beerquad_diy_wifi_antenna.html
http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/RadioAntennaEngineering/
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/design_data/antenna_design_data.htm
http://openfm.adaptedconsulting.com/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Theory/
http://www.cebik.com/trans/ant-design.html
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/design_data/antenna_design_data.htm
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
http://www.freeantennas.com/
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/28/how-to-add-your-own-external-gps-antenna/
http://www.diylife.com/2008/01/24/the-10-super-wireless-internet-antenna/
http://martybugs.net/wireless/biquad/

Haven't gotten around to building much yet. And when I investigate
antenna theory, all that I see is that nobody knows what the EM fields
actually are when it comes to quantified electrodynamics theories, and
I have yet to see a theory of antenna EM field shape, and if you might
happen to know of a predictive framework for that ...

- Bryan