[ExI] antennas and cell phones

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 17:49:47 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 01 July 2008, hkhenson wrote:
> Without new cell phones, how long would the cell network be useful?

Alright, fine, we'll go with traditional radios from hand-made vacuum
tubes. But remember the original discussion was more about the
possibility of making these things and how economics doesn't make all
of this 'magical' -- i.e., inaccessible to us. It just looks that way.
As for cell phones, then radios, then just bit transmission with smoke
stacks, we can go all the way down the line of technology, but that's
missing the point.

Here's an interesting kit I just found:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/03/vacuum_tube_radio_kit.html

There was a guy in France who recently got some fame for making his own
vacuum tubes. I don't know why. Something about robotics, maybe.
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/08/239209

Other vacuum tube links:
http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm
http://www.tubeworld.com/tubes.html
http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/
http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_Tubes.html#TUBES_024
http://www.vacuumtubes.net/How_Vacuum_Tubes_Work.htm

I also read a lot on vacuum chambers, but some good that does us for
radios, eh?

- Bryan