[ExI] Upon pondering your freedoms

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jul 11 23:55:18 UTC 2008

...But if the rules have changed again,
> I'm all for it. Let the tedious games continue! What do you
> say, Spike?
>
> Damien Broderick

I have been away on a motorcycle trip, so I have some up-catching to do.  If
we can handle it without excessive fighting, I don't see why not.  Our
biggest gun screamers are gone now methinks.  Your original question is
valid as all hell.  We must understand that the job of the court is not to
talk about gun safety, crime rates, any of that stuff.  Those things are the
legislature's problem.  Rather the court's job is only to study the
constitution and decide what they think the founders had in mind, and why
they wrote what they did.

In my mind it is clear enough that the founders wanted the citizenry to be
armed to resist any government that wished to take away the rights listed in
the first ten amendments.  Those cannot be legally abrogated.  They also
recognized that the original states had dangerous neighbors to the north,
south and west, and yet another one to the east across the sea.  They wanted
the citizenry to be able to fight invaders until a regular army arrived.