[ExI] Upon pondering your freedoms

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:31:33 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 July 2008, Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 02:53 PM 7/12/2008 -0500, Bryan wrote:
> > > Can a citizen *bear* tanks and nukes? Maybe the fabled suitcase
> > > nuke?
> >
> >There was a recent article about some engineering undergrad who
> > built a tank. So there's one.
>
> "Bear" means "carry." He can lug this tank around on his back? If

And what if he could? Reminds me of:

http://heybryan.org/projects/openpay/widget.php?projectID=1
http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian-07.htm

JUDITH:
I do feel, Reg, that any Anti-Imperialist group like ours must reflect
such a divergence of interests within its power-base.

REG:
Agreed. Francis?

FRANCIS:
Yeah. I think Judith's point of view is very valid, Reg, provided the
Movement never forgets that it is the inalienable right of every man--

STAN:
Or woman.

FRANCIS:
Or woman... to rid himself--

STAN:
Or herself.

FRANCIS:
Or herself.

REG:
Agreed.

FRANCIS:
Thank you, brother.

STAN:
Or sister.

FRANCIS:
Or sister. Where was I?

REG:
I think you'd finished.

FRANCIS:
Oh. Right.

REG:
Furthermore, it is the birthright of every man--

STAN:
Or woman.

REG:
Why don't you shut up about women, Stan. You're putting us off.

STAN:
Women have a perfect right to play a part in our movement, Reg.

FRANCIS:
Why are you always on about women, Stan?

STAN:
I want to be one.

REG:
What?

STAN:
I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.

REG:
What?!

LORETTA:
It's my right as a man.

JUDITH:
Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?

LORETTA:
I want to have babies.

REG:
You want to have babies?!

LORETTA:
It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.

REG:
But... you can't have babies.

LORETTA: (the particularly relevant line)
Don't you oppress me.

REG:
I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus
going to gestate?! You going to keep it in a box?!

LORETTA:
[crying]

JUDITH:
Here! I-- I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually
have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the
Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.

FRANCIS:
Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have
babies, brother. Sister. Sorry.

REG:
What's the point?

FRANCIS:
What?

REG:
What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies when he can't
have babies?!

FRANCIS:
It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.

REG:
Symbolic of his struggle against reality.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap
"Genius is the ability to escape the human condition;
Humanity is the need to escape." -- Q. Uim