[ExI] upon pondering your next million years

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jul 13 21:15:30 UTC 2008

> ... On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> Subject: Re: [ExI] upon pondering your next million years
>
> At 09:52 AM 7/12/2008 -0700, Spike wrote:
> >
> ...An example is that the Matrioshka Brain is
> >mentioned without actually being defined...
>
> I sort of assumed (never wise) that people might read from
> front to back...

Oh well, of course only normal people do that.  I read first the essays of
those people I know personally.  Damien I started on yours with great
fascination as I left the airport bookstore and walked with the book in
front of my face.  So engrossed was I in your essay that my life was in
actual danger from walking out a jetway into the abyss where an aircraft
once stood.  My last thoughts: ...called "Matrioshka brains." Within these
immense Sun-orbiting swaaaaaaaa...

> ...The best-laid plans of mice and Matrioshkas...

At a party at my house a few years ago, Robert attempted to explain or
define a Matriosha Brain.  This was to Melanie Swan, who is known to some of
you, not an ExI regular but a very well rounded transhumanist grokmeister
just the same.  Robert will likely not argue when I say the effort at
explanation failed.

My challenge to you ExI-chatsters: define in your own words a Matrioshka
Brain.  Do not quote Robert, but feel free to refer to his work.  Extra
points for using fewer words, but describe as completely as you are able.

> Damien Broderick

Damien, many thanks for doing what you do and being what you are.