[ExI] upon pondering your next million years

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 20:37:26 UTC 2008

At 09:52 AM 7/12/2008 -0700, Spike wrote:

>Robert Bradbury's essay was extremely thought provoking.  Our list may see
>curious new members intrigued by his work.  I fear some techno-innocents
>might find puzzling some of the concepts that we here find familiar
>territory.  An example is that the Matrioshka Brain is mentioned without
>actually being defined, at least not at the first citing.  Normal people
>will be without a clue.  Perhaps they will scramble for their Google page,
>but some will be on an aircraft at the time, as I was.

The book was meant to have an index, which I'd do. Somehow it never
happened, although there's a bunch of white paper at the end
presumably meant for one. However--

I sort of assumed (never wise) that people might read from front to
back. In my intro, I say:

<Robert Bradbury, a polymath equally at home in computer programming,
advanced genomics, and nanotechnology, ponders a galactic future in
which entire solar systems--starting with our own--are stripped of
their planets to build what he has called "Matrioshka brains." Within
these immense Sun-orbiting swarms might dwell, by Year Million,
untold trillions of human minds, no longer embodied in bone and
protein, cavorting in vastly accelerated virtual realities.>

  Steve Harris, in chapter 3, states:

<we'll be building clouds of solar collectors out of the "metals," to
catch all of the Sun's light, with information processors, powered by
this energy, at nodes somewhere within the cloud. After the man who
first envisioned such engineering, such a cloud is called a Dyson
Swarm. For computation, we need nodes with dense processor
connection, because otherwise we have speed of light connectivity
problems. However, we can't put the entire computronium collection in
one place, because its self-gravity will cause it to collapse, and we
also have a lot of heat to get rid of, because it won't be perfectly
efficient. Both of these things will dictate a mix of nodes and
connections. Robert Bradbury's chapter addresses the tradeoffs of
problems in making Matrioshka brains or MBrains (planet mass onion
shells of distributed processing nodes, associated with clouds of
solar collectors around light sources such as stars and fusion
reactors). But if you imagine a cloud of collectors and processor
planetoids, all bound together by coherent beams of connecting
radiation, you have the idea. Such a cloud would orbit a star or any
smaller fusion source putting out light.>

Chapter 6, by Wil McCarthy, states:

<Programmer and theorist Robert Bradbury has suggested an interesting
twist on the Dyson sphere concept, which he discusses further in the
next chapter: the "Matrioshka Brain", a series of computronium shells
surrounding a star like nested Russian dolls, each layer powered by
the waste heat of the layer beneath it. This probably represents the
most powerful computer that's physically possible to build, although
it might be capable of other interesting tricks as well. >

So by the time we got to Robert's chapter 7, I assumed that readers
would be generally prepped for further discussion. Nothing is more
tedious than a book where each chapter painfully repeats what's
already been explained.

But I agree that this can create problems for people hopping about in
the book. My fault for not pressing harder for an Index. But there
were a lot of last minute problems; astonishing typesetting errors
whenever superscripts or subscripts appeared, etc. The best-laid
plans of mice and Matrioshkas...

Damien Broderick