[ExI] Probability is "subjectively objective"

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:53:14 UTC 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008, Jef Allbright wrote:
> > > I'll highlight here a segment which highlights [for me] a
> > > remaining ongoing incoherency:
> > >
> > >     I am not saying that this is everything people mean by
> > >     "subjective" and "objective", just pointing to one aspect
> > >     of the concept.  One might summarize this aspect
> > >     thus:  "If you can change something by thinking
> > >     differently, it's subjective; if you can't change it by
> > >     anything you do strictly inside your head, it's objective."
> >
> > Jef, it doesn't seem like an incoherency. Here you are saying that
> > you have been 'virtually productive' -- in that you haven't really
> > been there doing stuff -- and yet you pair this with an
> > 'incoherency' of changing something outside of your head but you
> > have "done virtually nothing" with all of the puns and struggles of
> > parsing that comes with my sentence.
<snip>
> (1)  It appears that you have mixed my own comments with the twp
> segments I quoted from Eliezer's blog post.

No, you clearly separated who said what. But you also said "central
incoherency (for me)" so I was taking that to mean that there was no
coherent resolution ("(for me)")/(for Jef).

> (2)  "puns and struggles of parsing that comes with my sentence" ?
>  Is that intended to be a self-referential joke?  If so, consider
> yourself reprieved.

No, I was admitting to how terrible the sentence I wrote was. I was
attempting to point out that you were being 'virtually productive' but
within a supposedly incoherent perspective that didn't allow
this 'virtually productive'.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap
"Genius is the ability to escape the human condition;
Humanity is the need to escape." -- Q. Uim