[ExI] The Total State

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sun Jun 1 20:06:58 UTC 2008

Can I strongly suggest that everyone slow down for a moment and make
sure that they are not coming conclusions that are not supported.
Consider that if a persons in a lower socio-economic level are
incarcerated at a higher rate than those at a different socio-economic
level and if a demographic subgroup is disproportionally represented in
the lower socio-economic level then members of the subgroup will likely
be incarcerated at a higher rate.  Thus merely looking any single factor
alone might lead to unsubstantiated conclusions.  Thus the key indicator
may not be a particular demographic such as race or immigration status;
it might be something else.  Since incarceration rates are shifted by
many factors including competency of defense council, honesty of
prosecutors, access to non-incarceration alternatives, etc I feel that
we need to be cautious and careful in coming to conclusions.

As I have said in the past I have high expectations for the posts to
this list and I strongly suggest we all try to maintain high standards
in our analysis.  One thing I try to do is to see if I have incorporated
some idea such as racial and ethnic differences uncritically into my
analysis when other factors may provide a better understanding of the
issue under consideration.  It is not always easy but it is often
fruitful.

Fred