[ExI] Cruisin' New Horizons

Kevin H kevin.l.holmes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 03:59:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> In two days, New Horizons passes the orbit of Saturn (~10 AU). As you
> might recall, it was only the end of February 2007 (that's right, _last_
> year), that it passed Jupiter (~5 AU). It's zippin' at 65,803 km/h. Only
> the two tiny Helios spacecraft (mid-70s 250,000 km/h) breaks the record
> as the fastest manmade objects ever flown.
>
> See the data for New Horizon's trajectory here:
> http://www.dmuller.net/newhorizons/
>
> Just 2594 days and 17 minutes to Pluto! ;-)
>
> Amara

Cool site, Amara.  I used to track New Horizons on the NASA page (
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/mission/whereis_nh.php) but then I got out of the
habit for some reason.  But, I definitely think it is a cool program and at
last we'll see the last former planet up close, and I won't even have to
wait until I'm thawed out from my cryogenic slumber :)

Kevin