[ExI] "death gives meaning to life"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 23:08:57 UTC 2008

I've been musing on this depraved doctrine. I'd be inclined to
respond to that claim ("death gives life its meaning") thus:

"You think life is *meaningless* without suffering and death? What
the hell's wrong with you? Do you think having a full mouth of good
teeth is meaningless without the potential for your teeth rotting and
falling out? Here, let me help you appreciate life better with this
steel mallet applied to your mouth. Are you really so incompetent in
logic and reason that you can assert: 'Without death, life is
worthless, and if life is worthless you might as well be dead'?"

It's true that threats against our physical integrity, lethal and
otherwise, arouse intense, gratifying  states of alertness and
responsiveness in an otherwise complacent, routinized and dulled
person. But in those cases it's not *death* and *harm* that give us
meaning; it's their successful *avoidance*. That's why people call an
unusual escape from threatened death a "miracle" and "thank God" for
it; nobody calls the death of all those others who failed to be saved
by the "miracle" praiseworthy and miraculous in giving meaning to
those doomed people's lives, and ours.

Damien Broderick