[ExI] MAX MORE in Second Life yesterday

Michael Anissimov michaelanissimov at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 22:22:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity>
> > The technological singularity is a hypothesised point in the future
> > variously characterized by the technological creation of
> > self-improving intelligence, unprecedentedly rapid technological
> > progress, or some combination of the two.

Yes, this is a muddying-the-waters of the original definition, caused when
Kurzweil took up the term "Singularity" and started defining it in all sorts
of new ways that have nothing to do with the original definition.  I guess I
should just start giving up and calling the original definition "Vinge's
Event Horizon".

You still haven't proven to me ever since a few months ago when we had
> our chat how superintelligence alone could bruteforce itself out of a
> machine chasis without the interfaces and grounding that would frankly
> have to exponentially grow in order to keep up with those numbers.

No, clearly it would need to acquire interfaces to the external world.
These arguments can't be "proven" one way or the other -- I can only present
the arguments and wait for your response.

> But go ahead and have your own definition. It might be easier if you
> specialized your terminology and just said superintelligence initiated
> growth (SIG) to focus on that one aspect of a/the singularity. I can't
> stop you. :)

You're right, I have to be more specific.

I think it would benefit H+ as a whole if more transhumanists were aware of
Vinge's Event Horizon, and how it differs fundamentally from Kurzweil's
Singularity.

--
Michael Anissimov