[ExI] Electronic Circuit Question

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 08:32:32 UTC 2008

>  Do you think that maybe the transistor needs a certain amount
>  of *current* to keep going?  It might happen then that if the
>  base went down to -4.4V, the current it drew (i.e. over the
>  1K, about 5.6 milliamps) wouldn't be enough.  But I can't
>  remember reading anything like that.

It does sound like that's what the authors are saying, since on the
clipping on the negative voltage swing] involve... decreasing the
emitter resistor...", which would have the effect of increasing the
emitter current and hence the base current for a given emitter
voltage. Note that at this point the *emitter* current would be 5mA,
but the base current would be about 5mA/Hfe.

--
Stathis Papaioannou