[ExI] Heroism without self-sacrifice

Anne Corwin sparkle_robot at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 06:40:26 UTC 2008

Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
But isn't it exactly to the point that *they take risks on behalf of
others* which, by apparent rational calculation, they need not,
perhaps ought not, take.
Along these lines, I think it's worth noting that sometimes particular kinds of "self-sacrifice" are demanded and valorized under the false presumption that these particular sacrifices always or almost always correlate with Good Character and the capacity for actual heroic sacrifice when the need for such arises.

>From the same blog entry I quoted before:

"...most [life-extensionists] would not hesitate to defend our loved ones and friends with our lives if it became necessary to do so.

Just because a person doesn't quite fancy the idea of dying of "old age" or disease doesn't mean that that person wouldn't dive into a pond to save a drowning child, or pull a pedestrian out of the path of an oncoming car at personal risk."

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that people shouldn't need to have to "self-negate" (e.g., consider their own life perfectly expendable) in order to take self-sacrificing actions when necessary.  To me, there's a difference between wanting to be alive and generally liking who you are (which to me just seems healthy), and feeling like you are the most important thing in existence to the point where you'd never dream of putting yourself in danger for the sake of others.

- Anne