[ExI] "Thoughts without a Thinker" re: Heroism without self-sacrifice

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 02:05:05 UTC 2008

I wrote:
" Thoughts of heroism entails this curiosity to know the unknown
> without fear of failure or hope for success.

  You wrote: "As much as I think your ideas are close to the mark, I
don't think this
would work out."

To paraphrase the first sentence above, in a society of minds, there is
none independent of thought. Curiosity is a consequence of a desire to
know so it seems circular when the cause {heroism} is the effect of
suffering or vice versa.

You wrote: " Suppose we had brain interfacing technology and had a
massive supercomputer the size of Jupiter decyphering the brain state
of our hero, and found that he was, in fact, hoping for a brief 3
seconds at one point in his so-called 'heroic' journey. Does that then
mean that he is no longer a hero, for that briefest of thought? I would
hope the answer is no. "

There is only the journey irrespective of success or failure.

Terry