[ExI] Feel Safer Now?

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Mar 17 04:24:28 UTC 2008

Spike:
>Of those religious groups with sacred texts, there is one particular
>religion which has sacred texts which appear to me to give specific
>justification, or even direct orders, to slay Jews and to make war on
>unbelievers.  I never saw anything like that in the christian
>scriptures, never saw anything of the kind in the Jewish scriptures.

(After a party game where we discovered that the Trivial Pursuit
question gave the blatantly wrong answer: "Amen" for "the most common
word in the Bible")

Even though there exists debate upon what actually is the most common
word in the Bible (the top-five Google hits for "most common word in the
Bible" return five different words, which claim to be number 1), we
know that "Amen" is not it, and that the Bible is not a book of bedtime
stories that you would want to read to your 3-year-old at night.

o 'The most common word in the Bible is a Hebrew word "shalom".'

o 'Ignoring simple words and including variations, "smite" is the most
common word in the Bible.'

o 'The term *righteousness* is, perhaps, the most common word in the
Bible.'

o 'The word "Blood" is the second most common word in the Bible, after
"God."'

Just because a preacher doesn't quote violent scriptures, that doesn't
mean that such scriptures don't exist. A book with overwhelming instances
of "blood" and "righteousness" and "smite" is not a peaceful document.

Amen!
Amara

http://www.trivia-library.com/a/bible-numbers-and-statistics.htm

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado