[ExI] Feel Safer Now?

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Mar 17 05:50:18 UTC 2008

> Amara Graps
> Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:24 PM
> To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> Subject: [ExI] Feel Safer Now?

> (After a party game where we discovered that the Trivial
> Pursuit question gave the blatantly wrong answer: "Amen" for
> "the most common word in the Bible")
> and that the Bible is not a book of bedtime stories that you
> would want to read to your 3-year-old at night.
>
> o 'The most common word in the Bible is a Hebrew word "shalom".'
>
> o 'Ignoring simple words and including variations, "smite" is
> the most common word in the Bible.'
>
> o 'The term *righteousness* is, perhaps, the most common word
> in the Bible.'
>
> o 'The word "Blood" is the second most common word in the
> Bible, after "God."'
>
> Just because a preacher doesn't quote violent scriptures,
> that doesn't mean that such scriptures don't exist. A book
> with overwhelming instances of "blood" and "righteousness"
> and "smite" is not a peaceful document.
>
> Amen!
> Amara
>
> http://www.trivia-library.com/a/bible-numbers-and-statistics.htm
>
> --
>
> Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com

Granted the bible has some terrible stuff in it, truly awful.  But I sure
didn't recall that many smites.  I looked at the online Strong's
concordance:

http://cf.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=smite&t
=KJV&sf=5

This site yields 125 smites, 447 bloods, 306 righteousnesses, 117 slays, 126
kills, 7970 lords, 4473 gods, 2737 mans, 2540 kings, 78 amens, 448 sins, 172
sinses, or 620 if we combine sin and sins.

Hey cool, there are 620 sins?  I haven't tried out even half that many.