[ExI] highly profitable sexual practices was RE: Feel Safer Now?

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 22:18:42 UTC 2008

Spike wrote:
Harlotry brings its practitioners into contact with the unsavory crowd, bad
influences and dangerous lifestyles, beatings, risk of disease and
addiction, etc.  I predict lives will be shortened or lost.  If I were to
make a rough order of magnitude estimate, it would be about a thousand lives
a year lost, from the New York governor's actions calling attention to the
fact that some harlots get thousands an hour.

Ironically, the publicity may create a huge new supply, bringing down the
price sharply for premium harlots.  Could this be the end of extreme high
cost prostitution?
Perhaps I was just three sigma naïve (entirely possible.)  How many ExI-chat
readers were aware before last week that harlotry could be this lucrative?

I remember watching a cable news special report about prostitution and
they discussed beautiful young American and European women who had
"serviced" Saudi princes (an extreme example I admit) who would make 25
grand or more for a 24 hour period.  But this was seen as giving a false
impression to these girls that all such "high-end" prostitution could be
so luxurious and rewarding.

When I used to be a manager in the hospitality business we had a
wealthy gentleman visit occasionally who I befriended and we had a frank
talk about how as an older man he would go about satisfying his sexual
desires.  He had no shame in admitting that he paid for sex and this
man actually showed me on his computer the website he used to find ladies to
"take care of him."  It almost looked like a personals website with pictures
of young and not so young women (wearing clothes!) who went from being just
mildly attractive to really gorgeous (it took a password to get in the
website).  And the rates varied but some went for several thousand dollars +
plus (for just an hour).  I was totally floored that he could be so blase`
about it and that he would spend such large sums for sex.  I found it
interesting that he commented that many of the less attractive women
were nicer and more enjoyable to spend his time with.  Some of the
extremely beautiful ones would request "gifts" of expensive jewelry, etc.
along with their regular payment.
One reason for considering legalizing prostitution is to to attempt to limit
the horrors many low-end prostitutes encounter in their lives (beatings by
pimps and customers, drug addiction, disease, social rejection, etc.).  The
women of the Spitzer scandal echelon are more along the lines of the ancient
Greek Hetaira prostitute class (well-educated sexual entertainers for the
rich and powerful).  A century from now I could see a true futuristic
version of the Hetaira coming into being.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_hetaira.htm

Spike, the Spitzer scandal will probably cause more American young women to
be sucked into prostitution when they realize how much "easy money" can be
made from it.  I see no end in sight for very expensive "high-end"
prostitution (or low-end).  But ask yourself, is it really "easy money?"
Even for the high-end prostitutes where the odds of beatings, disease, etc.
are reduced, there is still the matter of probable psychological damage
where it may be hard for the women to later in life view men as anything
other than a resource for money.

When I was in college a visiting American professor gave a lecture on 90's
era Russia (the nation was a mess back then).  And she talked about how in a
poll of Russian highschool girls that "prostitute" was the number one career
choice!  A number of female Russian exchange students in the audience took
great offense to this (you can't blame them) but the professor explained she
was only stating what was true.

John Grigg