[ExI] highly profitable sexual practices was RE: Feel Safer Now?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Mar 18 01:11:39 UTC 2008

On Behalf Of John Grigg

	Subject: Re: [ExI] highly profitable sexual practices was RE: Feel
Safer Now?

	Spike wrote:

	Perhaps I was just three sigma naïve (entirely possible.)  How many
ExI-chat
	readers were aware before last week that harlotry could be this
lucrative?

	I remember watching a cable news special report about prostitution
and they discussed beautiful young American and European women who had
"serviced" Saudi princes (an extreme example I admit) who would make 25
grand or more for a 24 hour period.  But this was seen as giving a false
impression to these girls that all such "high-end" prostitution could be so
luxurious and rewarding...John Grigg

John I am reminded of a story related by James Michener, who was a navy
officer in the south Pacific in WW2.  The Americans were based on a number
of islands, many of which had plantations of various kinds, such a sugar
cane.  They had little contact with the outside world, so they didn't really
have a good notion of inflation.  So the plantation workers were still
earning about a dollar a day for their labor by the early 1940s.  Life was
stable for decades.

Then the war came along.  The American boys naively assumed a hooker in
these islands would command about the same price as they did in Toledo or
St. Louis, so they offered them the usual 25 dollars, which established the
going rate there.  The sailors were offering a month's wages of a typical
workman for an hour of services.  Unlike the New York governor's hooker,
these island women could line up a number of clients, for there were plenty
of eager young men on the island with nowhere to spend their pay.

Just try to imagine the disruption caused by that clash of civilizations.  A
busy young woman could earn more money in a month than her brothers and
father could in their lifetimes.