[ExI] Ticketmaster/scalpers

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 21:33:14 UTC 2008

I much belatedly tried today to buy concert tickets online (never had
attempted this before) for a Bon Jovi performance a month from now (just got
announced in the paper), only to learn I had a snowball's chance in Hell of
getting two decent seats next to each other.  A big reason for this of
course is not just scalpers, but online scalpers!  They buy up tickets and
then turn around and on the actual Ticketmaster website make an unholy
profit off them in the "sell your tickets" section. LOL  I had a friend tell
me that to get two good upfront seats I would need to be online with credit
card number at the ready during the first five minutes of the tickets being
available for sale!  After that initial feeding frenzy you are basically out
of luck (unless you are willing to spend several thousand dollars for
really good seats that are next to each other).

I'm surprised there are not laws limiting scalper resale mark-ups
(especially online at the Ticketmaster website).  And I'm curious to know
the views of list-members as to how you view this dance of supply and
demand.  Am I being anti-Libertarian and anti-Extropian by feeling the way I
do?

I never knew a "take a date to the concert" could be so potentially
expensive!  But they still do have fairly inexpensive tickets available
where we get to sit close to the *rear* of the band (literally behind the
stage!).  I'm not sure if she would like that.

John