[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Mar 20 04:07:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 8:49 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid, and Australoid...  Do we still need these
> divisions?  Are we not ultimately just one race, the human race, Homo
> Sapiens Sapiens?
>
> Will it take humanity meeting & socializing with an intelligent alien race
> for us to fully realize we ourselves are but one race?

I'd be pleased if people would get better at acknowledging
differences:  Race (to the extent it matters, for example in terms of
susceptibility or predisposition to certain disease, cultural
incongruities,...), gender, intelligence, physical strength, athletic
ability, musical talent... without the category confusion of mapping
these onto some kind of statement about the value "in general"  of the
individual.

I am soooo tired of the rehashing of old issues.  Apologies to the
list -- I know these issues are still active -- but there's so much
more to explore together.

- Jef